On January 24, 1923 P.J. Swanson and Chas. T. Lyons formed the Tire Mat and Bi-Products Company, Inc. to capitalize on the patent filed by P.J. Swanson for the invention of the tire-link mat. In July of 1924, Chas. T. Lyons, H.W. Bell and Howard R. Lyons formed a successor company called Durable Mat Company, Inc. and were shortly joined by C.L. Morris and Falcon Joslin, whom jointly comprised the management team that would established what is today Durable Corporation.
While the company was established in Seattle, Washington, there were several additional facilities established both in the West and the East. Durable first came to the Akron, Ohio area in the late 1920’s to get closer to its raw material source, scrap bias ply tires, and ultimately established a permanent facility in Norwalk, Ohio in 1941. Today, this same Norwalk location remains as the sole manufacturing and distribution facility of the company.
What began with a single product over 85 years ago, expanded initially to include additional products utilizing scrap bias ply tires as a raw material. From tug boat bumpers, marine dock and pier bumpers, loading dock bumpers, wheel chocks, backhoe pads, stabilization pads, floor tile and a number of other specialty items, Durable established itself as an innovative manufacturer of quality products capable of meeting the specific needs of a diverse customer base.
Further product expansion along product category lines included a wide array of matting products offered to compliment our initial tire link mat. Expansion included anti-fatigue, entrance and specialty mat products all with the focus on quality and the ability to provide customization to fulfill the requirements of any installation.
Today, with a work force averaging over 18 years of service, we continue to listen to our customers and work diligently to provide quality products with exceptional customer service to meet their needs.